Monday, July 06, 2020

"X" is NOT violence

No, "X" is not violence. Only violence is violence.

Recently I was reading an article I came across in which a gender-confused person (I'm not sure which way) declared that her chosen pronouns were "they" and "them," and, more important for us - to call her by other ones, including the one we would all normally use, was "violence."

Yes, under the rules that the new fascists would have, to call someone by their biologically correct pronoun is violent. This shouldn't surprise anyone who has read Orwell's 1984.  Nor anyone who wondered why Antifa claims it is (and names itself) anti-fascist, when they are plainly fascists, trying to assert their law or just control on the rest of us by violent means (and, it seems, based on racial reasons to the degree we can not separate them from BLM).

And, this author's insistence that to use a correct pronoun "them" (why plural, I wonder) disfavors is "violence" is not new recently either. We are told by the new radicals that disagreeing with them on race issues or to just say All Lives Matter, is racist and violent. I don't think I will ever get past that one - saying All Lives Matter - is racist to them.

But, this is not just something to laugh at. "X" is violence has a purpose. You see violence normally renders self-defense viable, and self-defense is a violent - but permissible act. Leave aside that it seems that some people, including those in governments in our own formerly free country have decided that self-defense is not available to whites accosted by blacks,  at least to some degree. It's not an exaggeration at all, as, for example, they say that George Zimmerman and Wilson were murderers for taking the lives of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, both of whom attacked them, and they were essentially exonerated - Zimmerman after a trial and Wilson after federal investigation). And they should have been if you care not about skin color, but facts.

In other words, by saying "X" - saying whatever they don't like - is violence, gives them the right to attack you physically. It hardly seems to matter to so many now that first amendment rights means we had to accept that people could say things that were offensive to us and they had to accept that what we say may be offensive to them. Ironically, it was primarily the left, over many generations, that brought about the victory of first amendment proponents. Now, they want to use what they call hate speech as a weapon. And hate speech means, essentially, speech they don't like, usually because it ruins their narrative or hurts their feelings, even if it is true. So, it enables them even to block speakers they disagree with from speaking by violent means, as has been done many times (almost always to right-wing speakers - some who I would agree are idiots, some they just disagree with and other's they just lie about - Charles Murray comes to mind - the last thing The Bell Curve was, was racist, which you'd know if you actually read it.

What's to be done? All we can do is speak out, support the police and demand our politicians speak out against it. And, I know people are afraid. So few people are reading this that I'm probably in no danger from saying this. But, if I argued this to a crowd of BLM or Antifa, what do you think would happen? Or if they just happened upon this. And people get fired or cut off from friends just for differing with opinions. So, many of my friends have told me that they are just shutting up, except among people they trust, of course. 

Unfortunately, one of the downsides of fascism is that when it gains power, as it might under a Joe Biden presidency, people may start to rat each other out. We see it in communist, fascist, theocratic or totalitarian countries. Why not here?

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. ""X" is Violence" sounds harmless, until someone gets hurt. And it has already begun to happen.

All Lives Matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in September, 2006. Mostly, it is where I can talk about things that interest me, which I otherwise don't get to do all that much, about some remarkable people who should not be forgotten, philosophy and theories (like Don Foster's on who wrote A Visit From St. Nicholas and my own on whether Santa is mostly derived from a Norse god) and analysis of issues that concern me. Often it is about books. I try to quote accurately and to say when I am paraphrasing (more and more). Sometimes I blow the first name of even very famous people, often entertainers. I'm much better at history, but once in a while I see I have written something I later learned was not true. Sometimes I fix them, sometimes not. My worst mistake was writing that Beethoven went blind, when he actually went deaf. Feel free to point out an error. I either leave in the mistake, or, if I clean it up, the comment pointing it out. From time to time I do clean up grammar in old posts as, over time I have become more conventional in my grammar, and I very often write these when I am falling asleep and just make dumb mistakes. It be nice to have an editor, but . . . .