Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Movie quotes


I know, I know. All of you are getting antsy waiting upon the 2012 Holiday Spectacular. But, you will have to wait a little longer. Today's sort of a who said it day, but only with movie quotes. You can find all these quotes online, so don't cheat if you can help it. The right answers are only from movies I've seen and I like them, but they are not necessarily famous ones so that you will instantly know. The wrong answers are, I hope, from some character or actor you can picture saying it too. It's a short post today, which I'm sure will not make anyone cry.

1.  "We took some pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed...But we're going back again in a couple of weeks."

a) Groucho Marx in Animal Crackers b) Bob Hope in Road to Morocco c) W.C. Fields in My Little Chickadee d) Red Skelton in Ocean's 11

2. "Dad always used to say the only causes worth fighting for were the lost causes."

a)  Randolph Scott in Buchanan Rides Alone b) Humphrey Bogart in The Harder They Fall c) Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washinton d) Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider

3. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that - he's gone."

a) John Travolta in Phenomenon b) Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday c) John Wayne in True Grit d) Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects

4. "Did you ever reach a point in your life, where you say to yourself: 'This is the best I'm ever going to look, the best I'm ever going to feel, the best I'm ever going to do,' and it ain't that great?"

a) Billy Crystal in City Slickers (1991) b) Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally c) Billy Crystal in Throw Momma From the Train d) Billy Crystal in Rabbit Test

5. "Look, you shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain't the place you want to get caught."

a) Tommy Lee Jones in No Country for Old Men  b) Susan Sarandon in Thelma & Louise  c) Glen Campbell in True Grit d) Robert Duvall in Joe Kidd

6. "You know, not many people knew it, but the Führer was a terrific dancer. That is because you were taken in by that verdammte Allied propaganda! Such filthy lies! They told lies! But nobody ever said a bad word about Winston Churchill, did they? No! "Win with Winnie!" Churchill! With his cigars, with his brandy. And his ROTTEN painting! Rotten! Hitler, THERE was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in one afternoon! TWO COATS! Churchill. He couldn't even say "Nazi". He would say "Nooooozeeehz, Nooooozeeehz!" It wasn't NOSES, it was NAZIS! Churchill! Let me tell you THIS! And you're hearing this straight from the horse - Hitler was better looking than Churchill. He was a better dresser than Churchill. He had more hair! He told funnier jokes! And he could dance the PANTS off of Churchill."

a) Peter Falk in The In-Laws  b) Woody Allen in Play it Again, Sam  c) Christopher Walken in Pulp Fiction  d) Kenneth Mars in The Producers

7. "And I don't need any of this! I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything - except this, this ashtray, and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need, too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this! The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. Well, what are you looking at? What do you think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this! And  that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair."

a) Diane Keaton in Annie Hall  b) Walter Matthau in The Odd Couple c) Steve Martin in The Jerk d) Bill Murray in Stripes

8.  "I'm the Dude! So that's what you call me. You know, uh, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or uh, you know, El Duderino - if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

a) Dean Martin in Rio Bravo b) Ashton Kutscher in Dude, where's my car? c) Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski d) Matthew McConaughey in Surfer, Dude.

9. "You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." You call yourself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself."

a) Rosie O'Donnell in Sleepless in Seattle b) Joan Cusack in Runaway Bride c) Ben Stiller in Along Came Polly d) George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's

10.  "I never get nervous. I'm very self-reliant."
a) Shirley Temple in Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm b) Natalie Wood in Miracle on 34th Street c) Kim Darby in True Grit d) Doris Day in Pillow Talk





(Scroll down)





* * *

1. "We took some pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed...But we're going back again in a couple of weeks." a) Groucho Marx in Animal Crackers. Not even near the list of my favorite Marx Bros. movies though.

2. "Dad always used to say the only causes worth fighting for were the lost causes." c) Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. An okay movie. Typical Stewart, but not as good as a number of other ones he was in.

3. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that - he's gone." d) Kevin Spacey in a great movie that will never get played enough - The Usual Suspects.

4. "Did you ever reach a point in your life, where you say to yourself: 'This is the best I'm ever going to look, the best I'm ever going to feel, the best I'm ever going to do,' and it ain't that great?"  a) Bill Crystal in City Slickers. I never saw (and never will see) Rabbit Test, but I can picture the other Crystal characters saying it.

5. "Look, you shoot off a guy's head with his pants down. . . ." b) Susan Sarandon in Thelma & Louise. First time I ever saw Brad Pitt. He was actually the best part of the movie other than the canyon scene.   

6. "You know, not many people knew it, but the Führer was a terrific dancer. . . ."  d) Kenneth Mars in The Producers. Not one of my favorite Brooks' films either, though it's done well enough on Broadway.

7."And I don't need any of this! I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. . . ." c) Steve Martin in The Jerk, one of his two great movies, the other one being . . . what?

8. "I'm the Dude! . . . ."  c) Bridges in one of my favorite movies, The Big Lebowski. If you haven't seen it, you should. Unless, of course, you have never seen a golden age detective movie or have no interest in them. Rio Bravo is one of my favorite Westerns. Dean Martin played Dude, a gunfighter who got his heart broken and became a drunk. Great Role. He sings a duet with Ricky Nelson that is one of my favorite songs in moviedom.  I will never see Dude, where's my car? or Surfer, Dude. I can't believe they actually made Surfer, Dude.

9) "You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are?. . . ." d) Peppard. I don't know why people like that movie. It was so sad.  But, all of the other choices would have fooled me if I didn't know the answer.

10)  "I never get nervous. I'm very self-reliant."   a) Shirley Temple. What? You never saw Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm?  My daughter loved Shirley Temple movies. Great role model and you know what? I watched them over and over again with her. I picked up a weird tic from it - saying "See you folks in church" or "See you in church," instead of goodbye. But, it cracked me up when her rotten if oddly lovable uncle, played by William Demarest before Father Knows Best days, said it in the movie, and I just started repeating it until it became a habit. Nowadays, I think more people say it to me than I do to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in September, 2006. Mostly, it is where I can talk about things that interest me, which I otherwise don't get to do all that much, about some remarkable people who should not be forgotten, philosophy and theories (like Don Foster's on who wrote A Visit From St. Nicholas and my own on whether Santa is mostly derived from a Norse god) and analysis of issues that concern me. Often it is about books. I try to quote accurately and to say when I am paraphrasing (more and more). Sometimes I blow the first name of even very famous people, often entertainers. I'm much better at history, but once in a while I see I have written something I later learned was not true. Sometimes I fix them, sometimes not. My worst mistake was writing that Beethoven went blind, when he actually went deaf. Feel free to point out an error. I either leave in the mistake, or, if I clean it up, the comment pointing it out. From time to time I do clean up grammar in old posts as, over time I have become more conventional in my grammar, and I very often write these when I am falling asleep and just make dumb mistakes. It be nice to have an editor, but . . . .