Sunday, November 24, 2013

Who said it XII?

I think I just did one of these Who said it? posts recently but I was flipping through a Will Durant volume this week, saw this first quote and said to myself, "Oh, who's counting? Do another." I have no idea if there have really been 12, but that's the number I'm up to whether it's accurate or not. But, just to change it up a little, in this one the answer is always someone who lived at least part of his/her life in the 17th century. My usual silly rule applies - I have to find the quote in my personal library. Why, you ask? The answer to almost all of the questions about decisions in my blog is  "Because it's my blog." And so for this.

1) Being of opinion that you endeavored to embroil me with women and by other means, I was so much affected that when one told me you were sickly and would not live, I answered, 'twere better if you were dead, I desire you to forgive me for this uncharitableness. For I am now satisfied that what you have done is just, and I beg your pardon for having hard thoughts of you for it, and for representing that you struck at the root of morality in a principle you laid down in your book of ideas, and designed to pursue in another book, and that I took you for a Hobbist.  I beg your pardon also for saying or thinking that there was a design to sell me an office, or to embroil me.

a) Thomas Hobbes    b) John Locke   c) Isaac Newton    d) Voltaire

2) In these four things, opinion of ghosts, ignorance of second causes, devotion towards what men fear, and taking of things casual for prognostications, consisteth the natural seed of religion, which, by reason of different fancies, judgments, and passions of several men, hath grown up into ceremonies so different, that those which are used by one man are for the most part ridiculous to another.

a) Thomas Hobbes    b) Isaac Newton   c) Baruch Spinoza    d) Jonathan Swift

3) After experience had taught me that all things that frequently take place in ordinary life are vain and futile; when I saw that all the things I feared, and which feared me, had nothing good or bad in them save in so far as the mind was affected by them, I determined at last to inquire whether there might be anything which might be truly good and able to communicate its goodness, and by which the mind might be affected to the exclusion of all other things.

a) Louis XIV          b) John Milton          c) Blaise Pascal          d) Baruch Spinoza

4) Why should anyone assert for you the right of free suffrage, or the power of electing whom you will to the Parliament? Is it that you should be able . . . to elect in the cities men of your faction, or that person in the boroughs, however worthy, who may have feasted yourselves most sumptuously, or treated the country people and boors to the greatest quantity of drink? Then we should have our members of Parliament made for us not by prudence and authority, but by faction and feeding; we should have vintners and hucksters from city taverns, and graziers and cattlemen from the country districts. Should one entrust the Commonwealth to those to whom nobody would entrust a matter of private business?

a) Oliver Cromwell     b) John Locke     c) John Milton   d) William Shakespeare

5) The various opinions of philosophers have scattered through the world as many plagues of the mind as Pandora's box did those of the body, only with this difference, that they have not left hope at the bottom. . . Truth is as hidden as the source of the Nile, and can be found only in Utopia.

a)  Oliver Cromwell   b) John Locke  c) Peter the Great   d) Jonathan Swift

6) What a Chimera is man! What a novelty, a monster, a chaos, a contradiction, a prodigy! Judge of all things, and imbecile norm of the earth; depository of truth, and sewer of error and doubt; the glory and refuse of the universe. Who shall unravel this confusion?

a) Charles II         b) RenĂ© Descartes       c) Blaise Pascal      d) Cardinal Richelieu

7) [I]n the compass of time, suffered so great a loss of light and heat by the continual emission of the corpuscles causing such phenomena, that they have become cold, dark, and almost powerless pulps. We find even that sun spots . . . increase in size from day to day. Now who knows if these are not a crust forming on the sun's surface from its mass that cools in proportion as light is lost, and if the sun will not become . . . an opaque globe like the earth?

a) Cyrano de Bergerac  b) Robinson Crusoe   c) Lemuel Gulliver    d) Samuel Pepys

8) God almighty first planted a garden; and, indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures. It is the greatest refreshment to the spirits of man, without which building and palaces are but gross handyworks; and a man shall ever see, that when ages grow to civility and elegancy, men come to build stately, sooner than to garden finely; as if gardening were the greater perfection.

a) Francis Bacon               b) King James        c) Martin Luther          d) Galileo Galilei

9) I hear new news every day, and those ordinary rumors of war, plagues, fires, inundations, thefts, murders, massacres, meteors, comets, spectrums, prodigies, apparitions, of towns taken, cities besieged in France, Germany, Turkey, Persia, Poland, etc., daily musters and preparations, and such like, which these tempestuous times afford, battles fought, so many men slain . . .  shipwrecks, piracies, and sea fights; peace, leagues, stratagems, and fresh alarms.  A vast confusion of vows, wishes, actions, edicts, petitions, lawsuits, pleas, laws, proclamations . . . opinions, schism, heresies . . . weddings, masquings, mummeries, entertainments, jubilees . . . burials . . . .

a)  Queen Elizabeth I      b) John Donne      c) Montaigne        d) Rembrandt          

10) Yesterday I received extreme unction, and today I pen this dedication. The time is short, my agony increases, hopes diminish. . . And so farewell to jesting, farewell my merry humors, farewell my gay friends; for I feel that I am dying, and have no desire but to see you happy in the other life.

a)  Cervantes      b)  King Charles I       c)  John Donne      d) El Greco

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) c - Isaac Newton  2) a - Thomas Hobbes  3) d - Baruch Spinoza  4) c - John Milton   5) d - Jonathan Swift  6) c- Blaise Pascal  7) a - Cyrano de Bergerac  8) a - Francis Bacon 9) b - John Donne 10) a - Cervantes

1) Being of opinion that you endeavored to embroil me with women and by other means . . .

This somewhat apologetic if cantankerous fellow was none other than (c) Isaac Newton, maybe the most brilliant of the brilliant, but a weird duck all the same. He was writing to John Locke and shows himself, even for the time, a little crazy.  I like science and appreciate sacrifice and all that, but he stuck a needle in his eye to see what happened - A NEEDLE! And that's crazy in any century.  I guess though that one of the lessons of his life is that if you want to compete for greatest all-time genius, you should not spend a lot of time with the opposite sex. He was almost certainly never embroiled with a woman and died a virgin.

2) In these four things, opinion of ghosts, ignorance of second causes, devotion towards what men fear, and taking of things casual for prognostications . . . .

(a) Thomas Hobbes gets a lot of bad press these days, being sort of seen as the hobgoblin of "life is tough" and "isn't the king neat?" school of thought. But, he really was a remarkable man, is given credit for starting modern political discourse (I think it's a little exaggerated) and translated for us Thucydides Peloponnesian War, the first to do so from Greek to English (still being published). I put the quote in as he was often criticized as an atheist. Probably it's not technically so, or no more than it was with people  like Spinoza or Locke or Jefferson were, who were also accused, but he did not believe in the spirit world and thought revelation could not be separated from rational thought. Personally, that doesn't seem possible to me, but that's another post.

3) After experience had taught me that all things that frequently take place in ordinary life are vain and futile; when I saw that all the things I feared, and which feared me, had nothing good or bad in them save in so far as the mind was affected by them. . . .

Well, I can't see Louis XIV (a) being the answer, but no reason I can think of that it couldn't be Milton or Pascal. But the answer was (b) Baruch Spinoza, a philosopher I occasionally start working on every few years, but get lost in. Some of it is fascinating and some just so tedious. He is very difficult to understand, if not as bad as Kant. Though there are many books and articles on him which dumb it down, I'm not sure how accurately. All the same, he was no doubt also highly influential. I am not as sure as some others where to start modern philosophy, but certainly he is near the start.

4) Why should anyone assert for you the right of free suffrage, or the power of electing whom you will to the Parliament? Is it that you should be able . . . .   

Nobody really knows what Shakespeare thought about such things as he wrote plays, not prose. And, the anti-democratic streak here doesn't seem Lockean at all. Could have been Oliver Cromwell but it was a supporter of his -- (c) John Milton.

5) The various opinions of philosophers have scattered through the world as many plagues of the mind as Pandora's box did those of the body . . . .

I love philosophy, but it's hard to disagree with him.  It was  (d) Jonathan Swift.

6) What a Chimera is man! What a novelty, a monster, a chaos, a contradiction, a prodigy! Judge of all things, and imbecile norm of the earth; depository of truth, and sewer of error and doubt; the glory and refuse of the universe. Who shall unravel this confusion?

(c) Blaise Pascal. Sure it would be more fun if it was Cardinal Richelieu, but it wasn't. I've never read Pascal directly, just read this or that about him, mostly in Durant, or seen some quote he wrote from time to time. His most famous thought is called Pascal's wager - which is essentially this: If there is no God and you believe, you've lost nothing. But if there is and you do not, you will be in a heap of trouble. So, better to believe and be safe. The problem with this theory is that it requires the same bet with respect to all religions that requires a set of beliefs in order to avoid damnation. This, of course, sets up a paradox as you really cannot be a traditional Muslim and a traditional Christian, for example, at the same time.

7) [I]n the compass of time, suffered so great a loss of light and heat by the continual emission of the corpuscles causing such phenomena, that they have become cold, dark, and almost powerless pulps . . . .

This wannabe physicist/astronomer has to be (d) Pepys, the famous diarist as Gulliver, de Bergerac and Crusoe were all fictional.  Except, of course, they weren't. (a) Cyrano de Bergerac  was a real person who lived all his short life in the 17th century. The play we know his name from was written a couple of centuries later and is mostly fictional, though some of the names were real and he did, apparently, have a bit of his schnozz. Steve Martin's modern rendition, Roxanne, doesn't get enough credit.  In reality, CdB was initially a soldier, but more importantly a relatively influential dramatist. You could call some of it 17th century science fiction. And he wrote the above.

8) God almighty first planted a garden; and, indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures. It is the greatest refreshment to the spirits of man, without which building and palaces are but gross handyworks; and a man shall ever see, that when ages grow to civility and elegancy, men come to build stately, sooner than to garden finely; as if gardening were the greater perfection.

Start with that Luther never saw the 1600s and you have three.  King James had some things to say about religion, but not this.  If Galileo spoke on gardening, I am not familiar with it. But, this was (a) Francis Bacon, whose pithy and quotable statements give me endless amusement. In my humble opinion, we give him too little credit for his contributions to the rekindling of science as Descartes, and was one of the leading lawyers of his time (though eventually, lost his royal position of chancellor, so long sought by him, for accepting bribery - which was as common then as attorneys working for judge's election committees is now).   But, I love him most for the occasional gem of an aphorism. The occasional commenter here who calls himself Conchis gave me a lovely hardcover 19th century copy of Bacon's essays is one of the few volumes I have that I try hard never to spill coffee on. Aside from all that - I also love gardens.

9) I hear new news every day, and those ordinary rumors of war, plagues, fires, inundations, thefts, murders, massacres, meteors, comets, spectrums, prodigies, apparitions, of towns taken . . . .

There's a description of the news that makes you say, well nothing's changed in hundreds of years. The author didn't thinks so much either and felt you could read the news once a year and get the gist of it.  It was (b) John Donne, whose meditation including "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were;  any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee," is certainly one of the most lyrical thoughts written down in the English language ever.

10) Yesterday I received extreme unction, and today I pen this dedication. The time is short. . . .

El Greco is inarguably one of the most distinctive painters, and, in my humble opinion, greatest artists in history. King Charles I, sentenced to beheading spent his last time speaking about his innocence and how the people had no role in governing. John Donne, of course, reminded us that the bell tolls for all of us, but the author of these last words was (a) Cervantes. Though I love both the hapless Don and Sancho Panza, and am inspired by some of it, I can't read Cervantes very long. The actual book is very long and drawn out and just bores me. But, to be fair, he was inventing the modern novel and was writing at  a very different time. Plus, I have trouble reading most novels -- even modern ones.  But, leave all that aside. I hope I have the time, ability and desire to write as he did when my turn comes. I have no problem contemplating my own death some day and have already written some short good byes, just in case there's not time. Though I don't really believe it, I like the metaphor of seeing my friends on the other side, where cares, anxiety and competition are all a thing of the past. I plan on saying "See you on the other side" a lot in the end.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in September, 2006. Mostly, it is where I can talk about things that interest me, which I otherwise don't get to do all that much, about some remarkable people who should not be forgotten, philosophy and theories (like Don Foster's on who wrote A Visit From St. Nicholas and my own on whether Santa is mostly derived from a Norse god) and analysis of issues that concern me. Often it is about books. I try to quote accurately and to say when I am paraphrasing (more and more). Sometimes I blow the first name of even very famous people, often entertainers. I'm much better at history, but once in a while I see I have written something I later learned was not true. Sometimes I fix them, sometimes not. My worst mistake was writing that Beethoven went blind, when he actually went deaf. Feel free to point out an error. I either leave in the mistake, or, if I clean it up, the comment pointing it out. From time to time I do clean up grammar in old posts as, over time I have become more conventional in my grammar, and I very often write these when I am falling asleep and just make dumb mistakes. It be nice to have an editor, but . . . .