Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Top ten lists

I haven’t done top ten lists in a while.

Guitar heroes.

I know this list would make some people crazy because there’s no Hendrix (may he rest in peace), Van Halen (may he rest in piece) or Clapton on it, but, my list . . . .

1.     1. Estas Tonne – I don’t know how to explain him or why I like him so much. Ukrainian Jew with no fixed address, looks like a stereotypical image of Jesus, travels the world making people happy. It’s usually just him, his guitar and his equipment but occasionally he has some strange musician or other alongside him. He uses a lot of reverb, which I like. I saw him live once in NYC. His music is so relaxing it was hard not fall asleep. Sometimes I play him at night when I can’t sleep. Try The Song of the Golden Dragonhttps://www.youtube.com/watchv=7gphiFVVtUI&ab_channel=LiebensteinMovies.

2.     2. Stevie Ray Vaughn – blues guitarist, died at the height of his fame. Died, like it seems too many musicians do, in a plane crash. I don’t really like the blues all that much, but I did like his guitar playing a lot. My favorite SRV piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzWYsS-VHww&ab_channel=stevierayvaughnVEVO.

3.     3. Carlos Santana – Who is more celebrated than him these days. Made his bones at Woodstock. Has an immediately recognizable sound and style all his own. What to pick, what to pick of his? Ah, Black Magic Woman (not written by him, as I had thought, but by recently deceased Fleetwood Mac founder/guitarist/singer Peter Green (who probably should be on the list, but . . . nope). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQUCYl-ocs&ab_channel=SPARTAN0805.

4.     David Gilmour – Pink Floyd’s master guitarist. Another original. No one I’ve heard sounds like him either. This is him without PF as an older guy. Still great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiXNIjGX1hY&ab_channel=DavidGilmour.

5.     John Williams – not the composer, but perhaps the most revered classical guitarist. Here he is playing one of my favorites, Asturias, originally a piano piece, but most often played on guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDAHl54V0CU&ab_channel=Rmontoya.

6.     George Harrison – Not saying he was better than Lennon and McCartney, but saying I liked his guitar playing better. Here he is playing with his buddy, Clapton, on My Guitar Gently Weeps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDs2Bkq6UU4&ab_channel=MarcoPulgar.

7.     Chuck Berry – Before God created the universe, there was Chuck Berry, probably playing the guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ROwVrF0Ceg&ab_channel=pigcityrecords. Johnny B. Goode. 

8.     8. B. B. King – As I said, not a huge blues fan. But I am a B. B. King fan. Maybe he should be first. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mMIWL3ygLw&ab_channel=javeca.

9.     Al DiMeola – Another creative force who goes his own way. He once stopped a concert to tell an exuberant crowd to shut it if they wanted to hear him play. Loved it because I hate noisy crowds. But, his music is always pleasing. Here he is playing the always entertaining Libertango. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2JdBwaLYH0&ab_channel=AlDiMeolaArt.

10.  10. George Thorogood. Ummm. . . another Blues guy. What can I tell you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6UkHsEEgNo&ab_channel=GeorgeThorogoodonMV.

Beatles songs

I must have done this before, no? Well, I’ve probably changed my mind since then anyway. I doubt many people will agree with this list. The Beatles really had an amazingly varied songs. I don’t know if any other group compares that way.

1.     Across the Universe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90M60PzmxEE&ab_channel=TheBeatles-Topic. Though, my favorite version is by a Celtic harpist, Áine Minogue, you can’t find that one on youtube for reasons unknown to me. It’s an odd song Lennon wrote after a fight with his first wife, and he thought McCartney didn’t care about it and didn’t like himself how it came out. He was wrong.

2.     Blackbird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Man4Xw8Xypo&ab_channel=TheBeatles-Topic. Almost like a folksong. But, one of those unusual tunes that makes me think, how’d he think of that? Paul says it is about civil rights and in sympathy for blacks in the deep south.

3.     Hey Jude, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_MjCqQoLLA&ab_channel=TheBeatlesVEVO. Not my no. 1, but arguably one of the greatest songs ever.

4.     Back in the USSR. The Beatles at their most Beach Boy-like. At one time, my favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS5_EQgbuLc&ab_channel=TheBeatlesVEVO.

5.     The Long and Winding Road. Just one of my favorites. I like the imagery of the long winding road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdf_w1JcSQ&ab_channel=SirGeorgeHarriSong.

6.     Here comes the sun. A number of my top ten Beatle songs are Harrison songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKPHFrHVVY&ab_channel=grinnersrwinners.

7.     While my guitar gently weeps. There’s a link in the previous segment. Fine, I’ll put it here again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDs2Bkq6UU4&ab_channel=MarcoPulgar.

8.     My Sweet Lord. That plagiarism verdict was ridiculous. I mean, does it sound like the Chiffon’s He’s so fine? Well, yes, somewhat. But, not enough for me. If I were on the jury, it would have been no. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qJTJNfzvr8&ab_channel=nowhereman113.

9.     Revolution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNdcFPjGsm8&ab_channel=TheBeatles-Topic. I guess it is a hard rock song, but I don’t think there is another like it. I saw a video recently where Paul said he thinks Helter Skelter was the beginning of hard rock. Which, is ridiculous as it had already started (and it’s not in my top any-number Beatle’s list). But, Revolution was still great.

10  Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. Really, who writes songs like this other than The Beatles? Maybe Paul Simon. But, not many. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9NpHKrKMw&ab_channel=TheBeatles-Topic.

Runner up: Let it be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYfEBY9NM4&ab_channel=TheBeatles-Topic. Second runner up. A Day in the Life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYeV7jLBXvA&ab_channel=TheBeatles-Topic.  They never get old. A Day in the Life and has an interesting history. Here’s a link for 10 things you didn’t know about it. https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/beatles-a-day-in-the-life-10-things-you-didnt-know-191427/.

Pudd’nhead Wilson

My favorite Mark Twain book is neither Tom Sawyer nor Huckleberry Finn, although I enjoyed them both. I seriously doubt many people have even heard of Pudd’nhead Wilson, a short Twain novel, though they should. My mom introduced me to it when I was probably in my 20s.  It’s a lot shorter than his more famous books, but that is not its only benefit. It’s a typical Twain plot – typical 19th century plot, actually - but the writing makes all the difference. At his best, almost no one was Twain’s equal. Pudd’nhead was his detective way down south and . . . not going to tell you what happens in the book, in case you actually want to read something great. However, I will tell you that Pudd’nhead kept a calendar into which he jotted little thoughts. These are my top ten of his thoughts, some of which have acquired a lot more fame than their source. Although they are usually attributed to Twain, it is normally without mention of where they came from:

            “One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat only has nine lives.”

            “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.”

            “When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.”

            “As to the adjective: when in doubt, strike it out.” 

“October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February.”

“Nothing so needs reforming as other people’s habits.”

 “Behold, the fool saith, ‘Put not all thine eggs in the one basket’ - which is but a matter of saying, ‘Scatter your money and your attention’; but the wise man saith, "Pull all your eggs in the one basket and - WATCH THAT BASKET.               

“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.”

“Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.” 

April 1. This is the day upon which we are reminded of what we are on the other three hundred and sixty-four.”

 Ten best bouts I ever saw. 

              Now, keep in mind, I was really watching fights from the ‘60s through the ‘80s, but, fortunately for me, that was a golden age of boxing. The rules are, I had to see it as it was being fought or within a few weeks after. Many I’ve seen on video don’t count (like the Marciano v. Walcott I just watched). Back when I was watching you often couldn’t see a fight for a week or two after it was over. These are my personal favorites. I will struggle with an order for them, but don’t put too much stock in it.

1.     Ali v. Foreman – This must be on everyone’s list. They fought in extreme heat, Ali inventing Rope-a-Dope, that last flurry and slow motion toppling of the fighter who had literally beat the hell out of everyone else with ease, and would continue, with rare exception to do so into his 50s. Of course, this fight has generated books. The build up to it in Africa was almost as great as the fight.

2.     Matthew Said Mohammad v. Yaqui Lopez. Two great fighters. In the 8th round, one of the greatest in boxing history, with powerful boxing by each, Lopez turned the tables on Mohammad and gave him a beating no man should stand up to. But, then, Mohammad did, and came back to win on a TKO between the 11th and 12th round with both Lopez’ eyes closed or closing. Two years later, with Mohammad the light heavyweight world champion, they did it again, with a 14th round knockout by Mohammad, and it was deservedly voted fight of the year. I’ll take the first fight here because of that 8th round. Lopez had a long career, and except his last fight, only lost to champions or top contenders. In one of championship match, against John Conteh, he arguably should have been given the belt. Still alive in his late 60s. Mohammad ended up with a sad string of losses, became bankrupt and died homeless. Boxing is a rough way to live, is more destructive to almost every fighter than good for them, even the champions. But, like war, in its own way, it is also glorious. Worth it? I less and less think so.

3.     Arguello v. Pryor I.  OMG. What a battle. I was emotionally invested in it. Arguello hit Pryor with some shots that seemed like they’d knock out an elephant and Pryor shrugged it off. We know now that almost certainly Pryor’s trainer helped him with a little antihistamine in his water to add to his lung capacity late in the fight. Even if you give that to Arguello because of cheating, in the next fight, Pryor beat him again with a 14 round KO, so I have to give him his due. They became friends and both had tragic lives, Pryor pulling out of his homeless at the end to become a preacher. Pryor actually retired with a 39-1 record, losing only once to a mediocre good fighter late in his career after two years plus out of the ring due to drugs.  Due to poor management and bad luck, he never fought Leonard or Duran, but the two fights with Arguello with one against Kim Sang-hyun in between was his hey-day.

4.     Hagler v. Sugar Ray Leonard. I thought Leonard was the greatest fighter of his generation, and what a generation it was. Both of them were past their prime when they had this fight, but it was still awe-inspiring. Some thought Hagler won. Maybe. I couldn’t complain either way. Perhaps a draw would have been fairest.

5.     Salvador Sánchez Narváez v. Danny “Indian Red” Lopez. Lopez was a great and colorful fighter, a hall of famer. But, Sanchez was an all-time great fighter – that is, one of the best ever. Dying in his Porsche in a wreck at age 23, he had already a 44-1-1 record, losing only once as a young man against a Mexican champion and drawing once. Lopez was one of my favorite fighters and has two fights on this list. The other one he won. But Sanchez was almost a force of nature. He beat every world champion or future world champion he fought. Then again, so had Lopez, who was world champion when they started the fight. Both of their fights were in 1980. Sanchez had a great record, but to look at was not impressive. Few expected him to win. But, he knocked Lopez out in 13 after a grueling and beautiful match. Later that year, in case anyone thought it was a fluke, Sanchez knocked him out again, after which Lopez pretty much retired (fighting long after once more like so many idiotically do). Sanchez defended his title 9 times against great fighters before his accident, and was already considered one of the greatest featherweights ever while still young man. He never got his fight with Arguello, which might have made him more of a household name.

6.     Lopez v. Mike Ayala.  I can’t imagine how amazing this fight would have been if Ayala hadn’t been on heroin at the time. Still, it was deservedly Ring Magazine’s 1979 fight of the year. I put this fight after Lopez’ fight with Sanchez, because it just fit better writing-wise, for me, but it was the better fight, one of the greatest ever. Although Lopez, a brawler, knocked down Ayala several times, it was an all-out war. I had seen Ayala fight before, and he looked all but unstoppable to me. I thought he was going to take Lopez, a huge puncher, but not one who made a lot of effort to avoid being punched himself. However, I didn’t know about Ayala’s drug addiction until recently, and though he had an impressive career, and I admire anyone with the guts to get punched in the face for a living, I feel he squandered what could have been a hall of fame career. Lopez earned his. Both are still alive, both in more prosaic and less painful careers.

7.     Hagler v. Hearns. I really admire Tommy Hearns. He was a great fighter. He won 6 world championships in 5 weight divisions (7 if you include the IBO), starting in welterweight and going up to light heavy (or again, Cruiserweight if you include the IB)) – an incredible spread. He knocked out Roberto Duran. He beat Wilfred Benitez. But . . . he also fought in the era of Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler. Sugar Ray beat him in their first fight, and deserved it, stopping Tommy while behind on all cards. They drew much later in their careers, and Leonard has acknowledged Tommy probably won. But, why am I going on about them when this is the Hagler fight I’m talking about. Hagler knocked Hearns out in the third round. But, what 3 rounds these were. Go watch the fight. I mentioned 5 fighters in this paragraph it was a pleasure to watch in the 70s and 80s. More than any others, they made it a golden age.

8.     Frazier v. Ali III. Ali-Frazier I was between two undefeated fighters. Frazier won. II was between two longstanding champions, and, though Ali clinched a lot, it was a great fight. Ali won. Ali barely won III, The Thrilla in Manila, which some think the greatest fight ever. Though Frazier’s manager through in the towel rather than see Frazier get irreparably harmed, little did they know, Ali was trying to quit in his corner, but his manager wouldn’t let him. He later said it was the closest he ever came to dying. The build-up for this fight was something that doesn’t happen anymore. But, the fight lived up to it. Maybe I’m crazy. Maybe this should be number 1.

9.     Wilfredo Gómez v. Lupe Pintor. Wilfredo Gomez is a very underrated fighter. He retired 43-3-1, with 42 wins by knockout, his first fight being the draw. After that draw, he knocked out 32 fighters in a row. He still has the record in all weight classes of 17 consecutive championship defenses. His three losses came to Salvador Sanchez and Azumah Nelson (who Sanchez also beat, but another great champion). The last loss was to . . . who cares? Unless you die by accident young like Sanchez, they almost all stay too long. One of Gomez’s fights was against another great fighter, Lupe Pintor. Pintor  didn’t have a glowing overall record, but really lost most of them starting in 1985 when he had been fighting 21 years as a pro (although, ironically, he was Ring Magazine’s comeback fighter of the year that year). Come on. 21 years in such a brutal sport. Gomez and Pintor both had great fights with others, but, this one I remember as a brutal and expertly fought fight, with Pintor winning into the 14th round, when, though both were terribly injured, Gomez found another gear and knocked him down. The ref eventually stopped it. The courage of these guys is astonishing.

10.  Leonard v. Duran I. I’m a big Sugar Ray Leonard fan. He lost this one according to the judges and a lot of people I know. I thought he won. He said that Duran had gotten under his skin and scared him. He sure didn’t fight like it. Stood right in front of Hands of Stone. But, Duran was great too. It was a great era for fighting and they were among the best. I am choosing fight 1 rather than 2 because, despite the fact that Leonard lost, it was the better fight. Duran quit in fight 2 - he says because of cramps, but I think it was because Leonard was humiliating him and he couldn’t take it. Just my opinion.


Feel free to comment. I know it was a problem for a while, but I think it can be done now with ease. I have to remember to check the comment box and approve them, of course. Please no slurs, cursing or being mean to someone else who comments, though of course you can disagree with them or me about anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in September, 2006. Mostly, it is where I can talk about things that interest me, which I otherwise don't get to do all that much, about some remarkable people who should not be forgotten, philosophy and theories (like Don Foster's on who wrote A Visit From St. Nicholas and my own on whether Santa is mostly derived from a Norse god) and analysis of issues that concern me. Often it is about books. I try to quote accurately and to say when I am paraphrasing (more and more). Sometimes I blow the first name of even very famous people, often entertainers. I'm much better at history, but once in a while I see I have written something I later learned was not true. Sometimes I fix them, sometimes not. My worst mistake was writing that Beethoven went blind, when he actually went deaf. Feel free to point out an error. I either leave in the mistake, or, if I clean it up, the comment pointing it out. From time to time I do clean up grammar in old posts as, over time I have become more conventional in my grammar, and I very often write these when I am falling asleep and just make dumb mistakes. It be nice to have an editor, but . . . .