Monday, November 14, 2022

So, Trump, I've been wanting to talk to you.

Very often I am addressing moderate friends on this blog, people who might lean left, but who often agree (even if it galls them) conservatives. Today I address my Republican and conservative friends, who are licking their wounds. As I write this, post-Election Day, there is a chance they can still win the majority in the House of Representatives, but I have reasons to be pessimistic. Since Day, when they had a huge lead, Democrats have won most of the late counted contests and almost all of them left are in New York or California. They certainly did not get the “red wave” they felt they were sailing on.

Well, my R-con friends. I’m afraid I’m going to do an “I told you so.” Feel free to tune out. But, as when I upset my D-lib friends, it is too important to be honest with you.

Three topics. First, explaining why you were so wrong about the election (which isn’t even decided yet, but certainly no “red wave”). Then thanking Trump and saying good-bye to Trump.

Elections

When it comes to elections, at least since say 2004 or so, when the Ds really began turning hard left (Kerry then Obama were known among Ds to be amongst the most liberal in their party), R-cons have been delusional about elections. I even count 2016, when most of them I knew were shocked Trump won.

The first thing you must learn is to stop saying that the polls are all wrong. Yes, you can’t rely completely on them, but the more established ones are more often somewhat close (they can only take a small sample) than farther off. Sure, sometimes one or more is way off, but that is not the norm and outliers are normal. And, yes, sometimes there may be a left-wing bias, but these companies have reputations they want to uphold. Even when I would tell my R-con friends that a poll is by a right leaning organization, they often stick to their belief it is tainted if it doesn’t tally with their own beliefs. Maybe it is just wishful thinking because they have been getting their heads handed to them so often.

The second thing what R-cons must learn is to stop thinking rationality matters with Democrats. Everyone thinks their own thoughts are rational and common sense. This is an old argument, but I stick with David Hume that reason is the slave of the passions. People vote for those they think are on the same side as them or the based on party for the same reason. Some of the smartest, nicest people I know have what seems to me unrealistic views, completely irrational, and they cannot confront or acknowledge that it is the case – again, even when they cannot articulate reasons. But my point is, stop thinking you can beat the D-libs by explaining yourselves better or getting them to acknowledge certain things make no sense. It would be nice and I’m not saying you can’t appeal to some of them that way. But, you can point out everything that is wrong with their leadership and they will say – Trump! or They are trying to take away democracy/our rights, and so forth. Sure, you can say –See how irrational they are -- the Dobbs case didn’t take away rights, it restored the decision to the States for the people therein to determine. They don’t care. They will repeat Trump! or They are trying to take away democracy/our rights. It may be annoying, but it also works. A single word that excites people is more powerful than the best written political tract.

The fact that Kathy Hochul could say in a debate (which she only consented to because Zeldin was gaining on her) that she didn’t know why Zeldin was so concerned with crime when crime is her constituents’ biggest concern, and, the fact that Fetterman (Pa. D-Senate), a man who is still recovering (if he ever does) from a severe stroke and cannot possibly perform his tasks in the Senate – could handily win, means that people are not voting with their heads, but with their feelings. They literally would not care if they were guilty of rape or molestation or grossly incompetent, impaired, what have you. They care they are on their side. And you should vote that way too. After all, Biden can be seen on video putting his hands all over women, even girls, can be legitimately accused of sexually accosting a staffer, can lie so much that at least once he has admitted it, can have oodles of evidence against him that he sold his vice presidential office in accord with his son Hunter, and still be voted president.

The third thing that R-cons must do is stop thinking just because there are some women or Hispanics or blacks who have seen the light, that they are coming over in droves to their side. They aren’t. I hope they are making strides among those groups, and they should keep telling them the truth, but it is still few of them.

The fourth thing the R-cons must learn is that they are not helping themselves enough. I get it. They like their lives and don’t want to give them up. They are financially succeeding. But they have succeeded too well and it has sapped their willingness to sacrifice and scrape for their own freedom. A few quotes that might inspire (though I’m not optimistic):

“[I]t is the preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.”


― 
Bertrand Russell

*

“When a person places the proper value on freedom, there is nothing under the sun that he will not do to acquire that freedom. Whenever you hear a man saying he wants freedom, but in the next breath he is going to tell you what he won’t do to get it, or what he doesn’t believe in doing in order to get it, he doesn’t believe in freedom.”

 

Malcolm X

 

I’m not advocating violence or for you to give up your stuff because we haven’t lost all our freedoms yet. What you could do is boycott though. I urge it more and more to my friends, even though I know it is self-righteous, annoying and I am not perfect in it. I know you can’t boycott everything. I know it doesn’t make you a Nazi if you go to the best bakery in town and it’s owned by a Nazi. I know we can have relationships with companies that make it difficult to part with as they have a hold on us (as me with Google, which owns this blog platform and my phone and has 15 or so years of my emails, etc. – I wish I knew how to fix that – feel free to give advice). I know there are some industries where all the companies are woke and it would cripple you in some way not to do business with them. I know some of the evilest companies simply make the best products. I know your kids and grandkids watch Disney. You don’t have to boycott everything. Pick ten companies and do that. Your life will actually benefit from giving it up. I’m not giving you a list but you know who they are and can if you want to. I don’t use Amazon for gifts or books, I don’t watch tv or movies on my own (harder in groups if you don’t want to run out of rooms), I don’t drink Coke anymore, I am not going to DisneyWorld with my family and stopped shopping at many stores. I do support that guy with the pillow (I can’t remember his name), a local pizzeria that stupid up to anti-Trump cancellation and Goya Beans, and so on. And most important, you can stop watching tv and going to movies as these companies are among the worst.

Because if we don’t do something about the efforts of the left to bully and control us and they gain more power, the fight will be brought to us – or some form of slavery.

The fifth thing will be hardest to sell to many supporters across America – we have to give up Trump. First, let me praise him for what he’s done and what he has suffered for us, and then ask him to leave, with, of course, a proper explanation.

Thank you, President Trump. You were fearless in calling out a corrupt and morally bankrupt media, you unleashed our forces to defeat ISIS*, you economically competed with China and you kept Russia, China and Noko at bay**. Thanks for pointing out the dangers of tik tok (which even a few Ds are waking up to). Thank you for your efforts to decriminalize homosexuality worldwide, for not pretending that Iran would comply with its no-nukes agreement, for being not only a friend to probably our best ally, Israel, not only by keeping America’s promise to make Jerusalem its capital, and also for the Abraham Accord normalization agreements, for which you deserved the Nobel Prize in a sane world. Thank you for standing up to our NATO allies and demanding they pay their fair share, for standing up to our EU allies and pointing out that they were buying gas from the country we protect them from – Russia (we see the results of that weakness by the EU and Biden).

Thank you for what you did for the economy before Covid-19 did everything we know about and for telling us it was time to go back to work before Biden took over with his unconstitutional mandates and vicious rhetoric. Thank you for deregulation effort, for making college fairer for young men and not having decisions made about these kids’ lives based on gender (Biden has, of course, reversed due process again), for cancelling Obama’s sellout of the Cuban people, leading the world diplomacy against Maduro (to whom Biden has gone begging to) and recognizing Juan Guaido. Thanks for dropping out of the Paris Agreement which does nothing to help the environment (as other countries have a free hand, even if anthropocentric global warming is real, and we reduce carbon emissions anyway) and was economically appalling (once again, which Biden brought us back into). Thank you for trying to build a wall (I wasn’t a big fan, but given what Biden has done to the border and has now is continuing to build after destroying our border with his policies – you should be thanked). Thanks for rebuilding our military, getting rid of the hateful CRT culture there (both brought about by Obama and undone by Biden), reducing deaths in Afghanistan to close to nil, establishing a space force, pushing cyber-security, supporting law enforcement against the anarchy-like and anti-democracy efforts of the left to destroy policing in America (which they’ve accomplished in some blue cities).

Perhaps most of all, thanks for showing the way to those in the second generation that is not afraid to call out the media and fight the radical party, like DeSantis, Abbott, Kari Lake, Kristy Noem (I think) and others.

And so much more – this is not an attempt to be comprehensive, but, just to show how much you did. And not that I agreed with every single policy. I didn’t. I didn’t even support you when you first ran. But I can recognize what a great job you did against the fiercest resistance (their word) by the left than we’ve ever seen in this country, the worst opposition any president has faced since Lincoln. In fact, even now, it is so difficult for their opposition to give you credit for anything.

*Yes, knuckleheads, I know they still exist in a small way. So do Nazis. But ISIS has no land or pseudo-state anymore and is greatly, almost entirely diminished.

**

Bad things happened soon after Biden got elected. China started doing intimidating flights over Taiwanese airspace almost immediately, and shortly thereafter Putin started the build up on the Ukraine border. More Noko missiles have been tested just this year than in Trump’s 4 years.

My other point is, So Now please go.

If that doesn’t make sense to you, let’s remember that you are your own worst enemy. You have a biiiiig mouth and a poison tweeting finger. When things are going smoothly we can count on you to make it worse by saying something at least annoying, incredibly stupid or offensive. Yes, they exaggerate your mistakes, are hypocrites and play games. But, you play right into it. It doesn’t negate what you accomplished, but it makes it harder to be re-elected. You didn’t do any favors for yourself with 1/6 either, though the committee is a joke and you did not send marauders to invade the capitol. Pretty clear you were an obstinate, bitter jerk though while cops were busy fighting. I know you offered the National Guard to the city but the left and D.C. are far worse than you are.

Plus, though maybe all presidents, but at least a lot, are self-absorbed, narcissistic or ambitious, most people, even your supporters believe you are at or near the pinnacle. And it has led to political problems with your own party. Who would want to be your VP now? Certainly not Mike Pence. I can’t imagine anyone with presidential aspirations signing up. I guess Mike Pompeo (who would be a good candidate himself though) might, but maybe not. Or maybe Marjorie Taylor Green would, but she’d be a liability. I guess you can always find an unknown or wannabe who has enough ambition.

Worse than that, you haven’t changed since the 2016 campaign. You’ve already attacked DeSantis, who is the choice of most conservatives I personally know. Perhaps he is just who he is, but I think he learned from you many things. Still, he is much better suited for a political office than you and seems to be just as tough and dedicated to helping people and prevent harm as you were. It’s like trading in a great looking spouse for another great looking spouse with a better personality.

Why do you attack DeSantis? Well, it’s your way, for one thing. And, you are also rightfully scared of what an increasingly fascist opposition wants to do to you – put you in jail. I think you’d be better off making up with DeSantis and hoping he helps you out, certainly on the federal level.

I understand, it’s not fair. Though I don’t think you got more votes than Biden, the opposition did cheat, violating the laws in many states to increase voting, the FBI apparently using social media to cut you off from the public, Wisconsin refusing to hear your claims and not the Green Party’s either (if they ran, you would have won Wisconsin). All the lies and the impeachments, all the while they treat Biden with kid gloves, refuse to investigate the Hunter Biden matter, and so on. Yes, the media is beyond awful – they are despicable, and I will back you 100% against virtually any Democrat in the country if you are the nominee. But, I’m sorry, by attacking DeSantis, you lost my and many other people’s sympathy, even if you tepidly endorsed him on the last day. Most conservatives I know do not want you to run. That may or may not be the case throughout the country, the I think it will be if he declares.

And, let’s face it. You are not up to it. You couldn’t beat Biden, someone who almost comically lies, says bizarre things and was already cognitively declining. Why? One reason. The people who hate you, really hate you. Come on.

I do not want you to go away mad. I want you to say you are not running, but will support a great candidate.  But, you really need to go now.

Do it because you really do want to Make America be Great Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in September, 2006. Mostly, it is where I can talk about things that interest me, which I otherwise don't get to do all that much, about some remarkable people who should not be forgotten, philosophy and theories (like Don Foster's on who wrote A Visit From St. Nicholas and my own on whether Santa is mostly derived from a Norse god) and analysis of issues that concern me. Often it is about books. I try to quote accurately and to say when I am paraphrasing (more and more). Sometimes I blow the first name of even very famous people, often entertainers. I'm much better at history, but once in a while I see I have written something I later learned was not true. Sometimes I fix them, sometimes not. My worst mistake was writing that Beethoven went blind, when he actually went deaf. Feel free to point out an error. I either leave in the mistake, or, if I clean it up, the comment pointing it out. From time to time I do clean up grammar in old posts as, over time I have become more conventional in my grammar, and I very often write these when I am falling asleep and just make dumb mistakes. It be nice to have an editor, but . . . .